Do you know an entire year has passed since we moved to Tokyo? Yes, an entire year and then a little. Ian and I marvel at this. The year has flown by for us. It seems like an appropriate time to take a look back and a look forward. Here are some of our thoughts.
(From Ian)
What I miss about the U.S.: Family, friends, Marion rugby, Chipotle, hot wings, my motorcycle, grass, a good, cheap gym, being more literate than a 3 year old.
What I love most about Japan: having Amanda and Addy with me, public transportation, convenience, our church, only use the car once a week at the most, it's more different than any place I've ever lived, people use text messaging rather than talking, customer service...that should be in there twice.
What I don't miss about the U.S.: People talking on their cell phones...at any time, at any place, driving everywhere, rude, uncaring store clerks, traffic.
What I don't like about Japan: Only being as literate as a 3 year old, overcrowded trains, sidewalks, train stations, being the lowest priority in the train station because we have Addy in the stroller, I have a hard time finding shoes, working late, generally un-kid friendly, no grass, bigger government bureaucracy than the US (at least to get a driver's license).
(From Amanda)
What I miss about the U.S.: family, friends, Smooch (our cat); a regular-size oven; an American-size dryer; my career (sometimes); baking; gardening; long, lazy summer nights.
What I love about Tokyo: walking, walking, walking, except when it's raining; the train system, our church family, Polar Bear Club; using my Japanese language skills to meet new people; Starbucks.
What I don't miss about the U.S.: driving everywhere; having a mortgage.
What I don't like about Tokyo: going to the grocery store more than once a week; not being able to communicate in all situations; the pushing and shoving to get on the trains or elevators; young, able-bodied people who sit in the priority seats on the trains; how frickin' early the sun sets.
What I've learned: 1)The human condition is a fact. Nothing is more universal than emotion. A smile and a laugh are the same in any language. 2)I'm stronger than I thought. I'm not afraid to be on my own. I'm not (as) afraid of getting lost. 3) I'm the most powerful force in Addison's life - at least for the time being. With great power comes great responsibility...
What I'm thankful for in Tokyo: Shoko, my sensei; TELL (Tokyo English Life Line), the counseling service I thought I wouldn't need when I heard about them more than a year ago; sharing so much time with Addison; giving Ian the opportunity to advance his career.
Monday, April 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a neat entry.
Is Addy picking up a lot of Japanese?
This was really fun to read. It made me feel happy.
Plus, it's getting closer to time for you to come home. Yay!
Yes, Addison does speak some Japanese. It's adorable to hear her say "kawaii" which means cute. :)
It was very interesting to read their talk. And I was so glad to see my name! Amanda has been studying Japanese very hard. Since she has great communication skill, she’s been improving her Jpn a lot. She’s made some Japanese friends in her neighborhood! ---her Jpn teacher
Post a Comment