I'm sure this is the very last thing anyone wanted to hear.
From the Canton Repository March 8, 2007
"CANTON An upset judge postponed the capital murder trial of Justin L. Lucas indefinitely Wednesday and set a contempt hearing for one of his attorneys. "This is one of the most outrageous things that has happened to me in my 18 years on the bench," said Stark County Common Pleas Judge John G. Haas. "It's an embarrassment to the court and an embarrassment to the system."
Lucas, 19, of Coventry is charged with aggravated murder and aggravated robbery in the July 10 shooting death of 26-year-old Jason A. Halter. His trial was set to begin next week. If convicted of aggravated murder, he could face the death penalty.
The prosecution and defense met Wednesday for a final pretrial meeting.The hearing started with Charles R. Quinn asking to withdraw as Lucas' attorney. Quinn said Lucas wouldn't talk to him or assist in trial preparation. Haas wasn't inclined to delay the trial, but said he was also starting to doubt Quinn's ability to handle the case.
Anthony Koukoutas, who was appointed last week to assist Quinn, told the judge that experts and records had not been obtained for the trial's possible second part, known as the mitigation phase. Those tools would be necessary in arguing against the death penalty if Lucas were convicted.
Assistant Stark County Prosecutor Dennis Barr told the judge he would be ready for trial but was concerned that the defense wouldn't be and that delays in the midst of trial would cause problems for jurors.
"This is absolutely beyond comprehension," Haas said, noting that Lucas was arraigned in August. The judge kept Koukoutas on the case and said the Stark County Public Defender's office or another lawyer would also be appointed.
The court had already spent $1,000 on mailings to prospective jurors that are now worthless, and the judge said he was considering financial sanctions against Quinn. He set a contempt hearing for March 16.
Haas said he would also report Quinn to the Ohio Supreme Court's disciplinary counsel. Quinn declined to comment after the hearing.
Lucas's co-defendant, 26-year-old Tona DeLong of Jackson Township, pleaded guilty in November and is serving a seven-year prison sentence for her role in the robbery. Another co-defendant, Jacob Rollins, 16, of Coventry, is set for an adult trial in May on complicity to aggravated murder and complicity to aggravated robbery. Rollins is ineligible for the death penalty".
Thursday, March 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment