Tuesday, October 02, 2007

3 weeks in September

Addison and I were in Canton for 3 weeks in September. We arrived on the 8th and stayed until the 29th. We were there for the duration of the trial of Jason's murderer. (You can read more here.) It was hard, especially because Ian couldn't come with us. Just never enough vacation time to go around, is there? We missed him a lot and talked to him every day.

Sunday the 9th we attended my cousin, Belinda's, surprise birthday party. She was so flattered that I came all the way just for her celebration. I won't tell you how old she is now, but you can get an idea from the three helpers she needed for the candles and the fact that her brother stood ready with a fire extinguisher. (Love you Belinda!) Poor Addison was too overcome with jet lag to say hello to the family.
















Mom took Addison and me to Columbus on Tuesday the 11th. Addy and I had check-ups at our respective doctors. All is well! After the check-ups we stopped by McGraw-Hill to say hello to my former co-workers. It was so nice to see them! Addison was especially talkative to Shannon and Erin.


Shannon teaches Addison about editing.

Ian made due without us. I know was tough on him as well. One of his language teachers brought him some nattou (pronounced nah-toe) to try. Nattou is fermented soy beans. It is highly popular with the Japanese. I've smelled it before and I don't think I could get it past my nose. Ian said "Not too bad. Didn't really have much flavor or smell. Sorta smelled like bread cause of the yeast fermenting. It is reeeaaaalllly slimy and sticky".




The first week home was really emotional - reading the articles in the newspapers, hearing from those who were able to listen to the testimonies. It was a lot to handle. It was nice to have a break over the weekend. On Sunday the 16th my BFF, (best friend forever for the 40+ crowd) Sue, came into town and took me and Addy shopping. It was so great spending time with Sue. And I really needed to do some shopping. There's a lot I love about Japan, but clothes aren't one of them. I can try on the biggest pants on the rack and they are still too small. It was nice to find clothes that fit. Also on Sunday the family gathered for turkey dinner and de-stressing. I always love to hang out with my family and a full stomach. Addison practiced her photography skills. Some of the pictures in this next slide show were taken by her.

After the guilty verdict was returned on the 18th I needed to have a few drinks. Lucky for me that my friend Angie needed an early-week buzz too. Just a couple o' moms hanging at the bar downing a few. Good times.

There is no denying that Addison thinks her Grandpa hung the moon. She loves to hang out with Dad whatever he's doing. Addy found that she could use Grandpa's tools if she asked with her nice manners. Here's Ms. Fix-It hard at work.


Of course, Dad's pretty taken with Addison too. Inspired by her excitement with tools, Dad brought Addison her own set the next day complete with hard hat.


Now if you're a Cantonian, you know I couldn't come home and not have Pizza Oven pizza. On Wednesday the 19th Mom picked me up, then we picked up the pizza, and headed to Aunt Tammy's. Hanging with the family on a full stomach. Nothing better. Addison adores her older cousin Chelsea. Luckily, Chelsea isn't too much older and still enjoys playing with little kids. They entertained each other for hours.
















The trial concluded on the 21st with sentencing. What a bittersweet day. That evening Ian's mom, Carolyn, came into town to visit with us. It was good to see her and have the time together. Carolyn even got to see Ian through the Skype while she was visiting.


"Thanks for letting me use your phone Gran!"

A visit from Carolyn + the end of the trial + good weather = the perfect opportunity for a cookout/potluck. On the 23rd we had another, bigger family get-together. It was delicious and fun. AND a few hours before the cookout my friend Tammy, her mom Sharon, and Tammy's daughter, Arya, came into town for a visit. It was the first time I got to meet Arya. Looking forward to playdates when we move back to Columbus.

Here's Addison doing one of her favorite things - running out to the barn and making other people run with her. Thanks Chelsea and Eddie!


To top the night off Mat and Eddie provided Chelsea and Addison with a little Redneck entertainment. The girls are in the bed of Mat's F-150 and the guys are bouncing on the bumper. Turn up the volume/listen closely for what Addison says.


A few days later on the 24th Addison and I joined mom, Tammy, Christy, Nick, Chelsea, and Michael in celebrating Aunt Glenda's birthday. I won't say how old she is either. We had a nice visit together. Chelsea built a fort for Addison, which Addy loved.




















On Tuesday the 25th it was time to say farewell to Carolyn. We were all very glad she was able to come and visit with us. The rest of our time passed quickly. On Friday the 28th Addison and I spent the afternoon visiting with Grandma. What a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Before I knew it, we were back on a plane bound for Tokyo. It was the best that Addison and I have ever done on an international flight. She was my little trooper. Here she is all tuckered out.

Phew! It was great to see and talk to family and friends. A special thanks to Michelle for the rockin' salsa!! Thank you to everyone who prayed for and supported us during this difficult time. Hope I didn't forgot anyone or anything! Love to everyone. :)

2 comments:

Shannon said...

It was so good to see both of you! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Shannon said. Addison is so big, I can hardly believe it! And her random little stories cracked me up :)