Friday, January 11, 2008

We are Virginia Tech

As a member of the Hokie Nation and since it was my first time back to the mainland after the senseless shootings last April, I felt the need to visit the campus (12/27) and pay my respects to the fallen Hokies. We decided to go to visit the campus for a day, check out the memorial and get some new ACC champ Hokie gear (honestly, can you ever really have enough?). Anyway, I was really impressed by the memorial. It is very subdued and respectful of the ones who lost their lives that day. I took some time to read all the names. Some markers had messages from friends and families next to them for the holidays. I don’t know what else to say. I didn’t know these people personally, but I can’t help but feel connected as a Hokie. It broke my heart the day I learned what had happened there, to my campus. To see the buildings where I had classes, see people jumping out of those windows for their lives. Knowing that the building where this all took place is connected to the building that houses my major. After visiting the memorial, we took some time to walk passed Norris Hall and then down and through Holden Hall that houses the Materials Science and Engineering Department. Didn’t seem like much had changed inside the building but we didn’t look inside any of the rooms and I’m sure there have been changes since I graduated 12 years ago. After that we walked down to the War Memorial and I took some time to read the names of the Hokies who had given their lives in Afghanistan and Iraq. Another list of lives senselessly lost. After that, Addy had a good time running across the Drill Field with Gran. It made my heart warm to see her running across that field. Maybe some day, she too will be a part of the Hokie Nation. It was time to move on, so we hopped in the car and hit a couple good stores to stock up on gear and then headed back to Gran’s house. All in all, it was a good day and I’m glad we went.
WE SHALL PREVAIL, WE ARE VIRGINIA TECH.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I still get tears in my eyes thinking about this terrible tragic event at our beautiful campus. I loved seeing Addison running across the drill field - that produced a smile. I hope one (or all four) of ours will join the Hokie nation as well.