Saturday, November 18, 2006

Dad and Eileen's visit - part 2

On Wednesday, November 1, Dad, Eileen, Addy, and I headed out for the Sumida River Cruise. Addison and I took the cruise over the summer with Ian and the Frijas', but we certainly didn't mind the repeat visit. The weather was very comfortable and the boat wasn't crowded. It was a very pleasant day.


Addison loves a boat ride!







Final destination, Odaiba.

Following our river cruise, we met Ian in Ikebukuro for dinner. We took dad and Eileen to our favorite Korean BBQ, Gyubei. It's a fun and yummy dining experience where you cook at your table. Dad and Eileen even ate with chopsticks!

Thursday we stayed close to home. We visited the local McDonald's so dad could assure himself that it is exactly the same. I took them to the two grocery stores I frequent and they were amazed at the variety of seafood and unique-to-Japan foods. Friday Ian took a vacation day and we all traveled to the Omote-sando area for shopping. We went in some of the high-end stores - Louis Vuitton and Dior to name a couple. We just looked, no purchases there! Too, too expensive!

On Saturday we took a very long train ride to Kamakura. Kamakura was the capitol of Japan from 1180 to 1333. It was the political and cultural center. During this time religion was flourishing. There are many shrines and temples in this city. We chose to visit the famous Great Buddha.
,

No comments: